Friday, March 30, 2012

On Our Way...

Towards an Insulin Pump!  Wahoo!

Mark and I are so excited to begin this process.  While I'm a bit overwhelmed at having to learn a whole new system of care, I'm looking forward to not having to give 6-10 shots a day!  How wonderful it will be to bolus without having Marian scream at me because it hurts...some of this I think is manipulation not real pain, since it doesn't happen in public or when others give an injection typically. 

We decided to go with the Animas OneTouch Ping.  I thought it would be useful to list our thoughts on each because I would've appreciated seeing someone else's thoughts on deciding the pump they chose.
Here are some of our thoughts as we worked through which pump to choose:

OmniPod 
Positives:
Child has no access to pump controls
Waterproof
Less to carry
Negatives:
If we forget the meter no other options to get insulin into Marian easily
A bit heavy to be taped to body of 3 year old, most reviews seemed to indicate extra glues/tapes needed.

OneTouch Ping
Positives:
Pink (this is the feature most important to Marian)
Can give program to give insulin using pump on body and through meter
Waterproof
We've used the OneTouch meter so its a bit less to learn
Negatives:
Marian will have access to pump controls
Marian must wear a belt or pocket with the pump

No comments:

Post a Comment